Artist labor rights and compensation are hot-button topics these days. In light of this conversation, we wanted to share some basic negotiating tips from our Professional Development Program curriculum, adapted from Roger Fisher’s book Getting to Yes:
- You must be able to walk to win.
- Understand the other person’s position.
- Do your homework to gather as much information as you can about the situation and others like it. Read other contracts and research standards and going rates for work in your area.
- Brainstorm different options. You may come up with novel solutions that meet both parties’ needs and interests.
- Rehearse your presentation/request.
- Remain factual, respectful and not emotional.
- Reason, and be open to reason.
- Never yield to pressure if you do not feel good about the terms of the agreement.
Do you have other negotiating tips for artists or advice about compensation/labor standards? Please share your thoughts by commenting below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.